A Danish man in his 30s was arrested and charged after five people were killed and two others injured in a series of bow and arrow attacks in Norway.
The attack took place around 6:15 p.m. local time on Wednesday in the suspect’s hometown of Kongsberg, about 80 kilometers southwest of the capital Oslo. It is believed to have started in or near a Coop store in the city center.
One witness described a man “standing in the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in hand.”
The suspect was arrested after what police called a “showdown” about 20 minutes after the attacks began.
Police said there were several crime scenes spread over “a large area” of the city and that the man in custody “is the only person involved” so far.
The Norwegian national police leadership said it had ordered officers across the country to carry firearms.
Acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg described the reports of the attack as “horrifying” and said it was too early to speculate on the motive of the man. Prime Minister-designate Jonas Gahr Støre, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the assault “a cruel and brutal act.”