With Telegram, you can create group chats with up to 200 people so you can stay connected with everyone at once. Plus, you can share videos up to 1GB, send multiple photos from the web, and forward whatever media you receive in an instant. All your messages are in the cloud, so you can easily access them from any of your devices.
For those interested in maximum privacy, we have added Secret Chats, with end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its recipient. When it comes to secret chats, nothing is logged on our servers and you can automatically schedule your status messages to self-destruct from both devices so that no logs are ever left.
We created Telegram to make messaging safe again so that you can regain your right to privacy.
Telegram messages are highly encrypted and can self-destruct.
Telegram allows you to access your messages from multiple devices.
Telegram sends messages faster than any other application.
Telegram servers are distributed all over the world for security and speed reasons.
Telegram has an open API and a free protocol for everyone.
Telegram is free forever. No Ads. No subscription fees.
Telegram keeps your messages safe from hacker attacks.
Telegram has no limits on the size of your media and chats.
We can do it!
Help make messages secure again – spread the word about Telegram.
We hope everyone had a great celebration. We at Telegram certainly did. One of our engineers got so excited about the new year that he mistakenly shared horrible stickers with his mother. To fix this, he quickly added a way to unsubscribe recently sent messages. This clever move saved his morning, and it can still save yours! If you use Telegram v.3.16 or later, you can now cancel any strange messages that you have shared in the last 48 hours.
The holiday season is in full swing in many parts of the world, so we think some of you are busy traveling. If that’s the case, you might want to check out the new Network Usage section that shows exactly how much data it consumed while roaming or wi-fi or whatever. Do not forget to use the hotel’s Wi-Fi before making any telegramming abroad. And remember that you can toggle automatic media download in Telegram settings.
This is the perfect season to meet new people. Want to give them contact information, but a phone number seems like too much? That’s exactly why we added Telegram.me usernames and links in 2014.
Starting today, you can use t.me instead of telegram.me. Grab a napkin, type t.me/username in no time, and give it to someone before they can escape.
This also works with channels: t.me/telegram
Public Groups: t.me/snowballfight
And stickers: t.me/addstickers/NickSantini
Android developers never sleep
85% of Telegram users are on Android. Our CEO is concerned that, if ignored, this Android population could start a rebellion and dethrone him. To please the mob, he had us introduce the following features to the Android app:
Messages from a sender are now neatly grouped and scrolling up shows the date immediately, making it easier to navigate chats.
The app now restores your previous scrolling position when you return to a chat. Very useful when someone sends you a saga in 1,000 messages and you want to patiently read them in the correct order.
- Sharing files (a feature we’ve always had) has become easier because you view a list of recently downloaded files directly on the sharing screen.
- We now support GBoard, the Google keyboard that can apparently send GIFs of cats.
- And for those 2 users who already have Android 7.1 installed, we are happy to announce that we have added a quick action menu with frequent chats on their home screen. Say hello to early adopters!
- Back to the bottom line: the cowboy, clown, and sick face emoji (aka the ‘exfoliating green tea mask face’ emoji) have found their way to Android. We support you all now.
- What do these emoji mean? When are you supposed to use them? Is the singular form of ’emoji’ actually ’emojus’? To answer all these questions with the utmost precision, we have also added support for the question emoji.
- Updated Windows version 3.1.1
- Android version updated to 8.0.0
- MacOS version updated to 8.1.2
- Turn any of your group chats into a hop-on, hop-off conference call.
- Get up to several thousand participants in each voice chat.
- Control the number of speakers with flexible management tools.
Chat folders and more
- Organize chats in chat folders if you have too many chats.
- Create custom folders with flexible settings or use default recommendations.
- Pin to an unlimited number of chats in each folder.
- Switch between folders for easy access to all your chats.
- See detailed statistics on your channel growth and post performance.
- Send: dice: to any chat to try your luck and get a random number from the animated dice.
- Telegram for Android has now reached version 5.0 and received a major overhaul in the design department. Now it is much easier to access shared media from user, group and channel profiles.
- Custom languages. Crowdsource a cloud-based language pack for Telegram using our translation platform, then apply it in real time.
- Instant view 2.0. View web pages instantly with support for more types of content.
- New design for profiles, notifications and sounds, and general settings. Profile pages offer quick access to shared media.
- Crisp previews, faster loading speed, and more information in shared content sections.
- Swipe navigation when viewing documents with images.
Previous Release Notes:
Secret chats are meant for people who want more secrecy than the average guy. All secret chat messages use end-to-end encryption. This means that only you and the recipient can read those messages; no one else can decipher them, including us here on Telegram (more on this here). In addition to this, messages cannot be forwarded from secret chats. And when you delete messages from your side of the conversation, the app on the other side of the secret chat will be ordered to delete them as well.
You can order your messages, photos, videos, and files to self-destruct within a specified period of time after the recipient has read or opened them. The message will disappear from both you and your friend’s devices.
All secret chats on Telegram are device specific and not part of the Telegram cloud. This means that you can only access messages in a secret chat from your source device. They are safe as long as your device is safe in your pocket.
Topics, multiple accounts, and more:
- Introducing various accounts on Android and themes on iOS in version 4.7.
- Happy winter holidays everyone! To reinforce the festive atmosphere, we are updating Telegram for the second time in December, adding the features you have been requesting.
- With version 4.7 for iOS, you can change the look of your Telegram in the new appearance settings. Choose from four different themes, including a minimalist one (“Day”) and two dark themes (“Night” and “Night Blue”). The “Day” theme also allows you to choose an accent color for the entire application, such as pink or purple.
- The Android app already supported multiple themes, so it had to go further with 4.7 by supporting multiple accounts. You can add up to three accounts with different phone numbers to your Telegram app and then quickly switch between them from the side menu. Notifications will continue to come from all accounts, unless you change this in the notification settings.
- Telegram now supports quick replies on both mobile platforms. To use them, just swipe left on any message in a chat.