Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera set the record straight regarding his future on Friday, saying the detroit news that in fact he will return for a 21st season in the Major Leagues in 2023.
A day earlier, Cabrera, 39, told reporters that this season may be his last as he continues to deal with knee problems. It was the first time Cabrera opened the door to the possibility of him not playing next year after previously saying he planned to honor his contract, which is fully guaranteed through the 2023 season.
But Cabrera said Friday that his plan to play next year hasn’t changed.
“I’m not going to retire,” he told the News. “Not until after next year when my contract is up. They didn’t understand what I said. There’s no way I’m quitting.”
Cabrera joined the 3,000 hit/500 home run club earlier in the season and was hitting .308 on July 8. But he has struggled ever since, hitting .131 with three extra-base hits in his last 21 games before Friday.
Knee pain, which he said has increased in recent weeks, has been partly to blame, but Cabrera believes next year will be different. He turns 40 in April.
“Next year is going to be much better,” he told the News. “Next year I’m going to be right there.”