A seven-year-old Hull City fan was injured after being struck in the face by a flare that was thrown into the crowd during a championship game in Barnsley on Saturday.
South Yorkshire police said they were looking for a Hull teammate who fired the flare during the team’s away game with Barnsley.
The force said the incident occurred shortly before the break and that the boy suffered minor injuries.
Officers are reviewing the CCTV footage and have urged anyone who knows who was responsible to contact them.
Thanks for your help. We have tagged the correct club this time! 🙄https://t.co/uUNyt96lGN
– South Yorkshire Police (@syptweet) November 6, 2021
The championship game ended with Hull beating Barnsley 2-0.
An out-of-league game had to be abandoned on Friday after a firework exploded on the field and struck one of the players.
Hashtag United posted images on social media showing the incident during a reserve team game with Concord Rangers on Friday night. Footballer Matas Skrna narrowly avoided serious injury after fireworks fell near him on the grass, sparks from the explosion hitting his legs.
He collapsed on the ground clutching his legs and was surrounded by concerned teammates.
Two more fireworks landed near the field and the match at Len Salmon Stadium in Basildon, Essex was abandoned, with Hashtag United reserves winning 2-0.
YouTuber Spencer Owen, who founded Hashtag United in 2016, tweeted that “a few different inches and our boy could have gone blind.”
We expect fireworks whenever @hashtagutd play but not like this!
Our player Matas Skrna is fortunately fine, but this could have been bad!
Game abandoned at 2-0 up because the house the fireworks were coming from refused to stop. Two more landed near the pitch. The police have been notified. Stay safe. pic.twitter.com/YP22OaLDb6
– Hashtag United (@hashtagutd) November 5, 2021
“Yet another reason to add to the list of reasons to dismiss fireworks,” he added. “Dog owners know exactly what I’m saying. I’m glad Matas is doing well.”
A spokesperson for the club said a volunteer had gone to a nearby home and asked if they could stop the fireworks.
They said the house continued its display, leading to the abandonment of the match, after which the fireworks ceased.
Another football match was interrupted by fireworks on Friday when Waterford’s match against Shamrock Rovers in the Irish Premier League was temporarily halted.